Sunday, October 6, 2013

DIY Embellished Sweatshirt Tutorial

When I first trimmed the sleeves of this sweatshirt with lace a couple years ago (using this tutorial), I didn't have enough lace to do the shoulders. Cut to now, when I got the idea to make kind of lace epaulets to finish it off. I can't remember where the idea originated, but I may have gotten it from Miranda on Project Runway with her military background.

This may be self explanatory, but here's a little step-by-step tutorial for you anyway.


Materials you'll need:
  • sweatshirt
  • lace trim
  • six buttons
  • tape measure
  • scissors
  • thread
  • needle
  • pins
Optional materials:
  • needle threader
  • thimble
  • sewing machine
Directions:

1. Line up the lace how you'd like it. I doubled it over and placed the folded end toward the shoulder. 

2. Cut the lace for one shoulder and then lay it on top of the remaining lace to cut a second piece of the same size.


3. Pin the lace to the shoulders.


4. Hand or machine stitch around the edges. I used a needle and thread and stitched all the way around through both layers, but you could play with sewing only the bottom layer for a more three-dimensional look to the epaulets.

5. Use a tape measure to determine where you want to place the buttons.


6. Mark the spots with either a writing utensil or pins. I chose to put the buttons at 1-1/2, 2-1/2, and 3-1/2 inches from the neck.

7. Sew each of the buttons into place while trying to ignore my un-manicured nails.


Done!





6 comments:

  1. Cute! I think you will love the epaulets this lady makes:

    http://binkaminka.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh I want all of it! How interesting that she's from Riga, Latvia. My dad goes there for a visit almost every year. I should have him pick up some of her stuff for me next time he's there.

      Delete
  2. Love the way you fancied up the basi sweatshirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute - great job! I've been wanting to do a DIY of leather elbow patches but I'm not skilled at sewing :/

    ReplyDelete