This may be self explanatory, but here's a little step-by-step tutorial for you anyway.
Materials you'll need:
- lace trim
- six buttons
- tape measure
- needle threader
- sewing machine
1. Line up the lace how you'd like it. I doubled it over and placed the folded end toward the shoulder.
2. Cut the lace for one shoulder and then lay it on top of the remaining lace to cut a second piece of the same size.
3. Pin the lace to the shoulders.
4. Hand or machine stitch around the edges. I used a needle and thread and stitched all the way around through both layers, but you could play with sewing only the bottom layer for a more three-dimensional look to the epaulets.
5. Use a tape measure to determine where you want to place the buttons.
6. Mark the spots with either a writing utensil or pins. I chose to put the buttons at 1-1/2, 2-1/2, and 3-1/2 inches from the neck.
7. Sew each of the buttons into place while trying to ignore my un-manicured nails.