It doesn't bode well when the first thing I do is cut the biggest pattern piece (the skirt) the wrong way and eff up half of the five yards of fabric. As a result, the fabric was not wide enough to cut the bodice, so the bodice ended up as two different pieces. Thankfully, the scalloped edge made my mistake look intentional.
I modified the bottom of the pattern in an attempt to simplify it and make the whole process go faster. Instead of a skirt with a zipper and buttons, I went with elastic just in the back. The back straps were supposed to have buttons, too, but I skipped those in the hopes that the dress would go on easily without them, which it does. Frankly, I've never done buttonholes before, and I didn't think I had the time to learn.
When I made it to the last step, sewing the skirt to the bodice, almost home free, I messed up again and sewed the left side on too low. So now I have to fix that if I really intend on wearing this thing. In the end, I kind of think I hate it, though. I think the neckline should be more open, the skirt should be shorter and narrower, and my back should be less fat. Also, I thought the hanging scallops at the bust would look cool, but it just looks unflattering and dated, so maybe sewing that down will help, too.
Maybe I'll take it apart and try to fix some of those things when I have more time. I just don't see it happening in the next two days.