Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Paddy's Day Edition of Awkward and Awesome

Happy St. Paddy's Day! I am not Irish, but I am told that everyone is Irish on St. Paddy's Day. So that's as good of a reason as any to wear green and drink beer today! Both of which I will be doing in the comfort of my own home tonight.

We kind of matched today with our gray shirts and green tights/pants.


Awkward
  • Being concerned about jaywalking and walking all the way to the corner to cross the street.  There was a cop nearby, but come on.  It's St. Paddy's Day.  He's looking for drunks, not people in business attire getting their morning coffee.
  • What my evening has in store for me: it's my turn to pick up dog poop, and the snow just recently melted, so it's going to be a mess.  
  • Randomly saying hi to someone as I'm walking by his desk, then he abruptly turns back around, so I mumble something and scurry off.  Really any unplanned encounter generally sends me into awkward mode.
  • Almost awkward: nearly angering the Irish by spelling it "St. Patty's" until I saw Paddy, Not Patty.  After reading that, I went through this post again and corrected my mistakes.  It looks wrong to me, but I don't make the rules--I just follow them.  Probably should've just stuck with St. Patrick's and called it a day.
  • Tugging at my skirt throughout the day because I keep thinking it's a little too short. 
  • Tripping in the infant room at daycare.  Luckily, I wasn't holding my daughter at the time, and I didn't actually fall.
  • My husband dropping two different forks on the floor when he was trying to get dinner ready. 

    Awesome
    • Green tights.  At least today.  Any other day, I feel too out of place wearing colored tights to work.
    • The Tripel Karmeliet beer I bought tonight.  It's probably my favorite beer although it's Belgian, not Irish.
    • Irish accents.  The morning show I listen to was broadcasting from the Jameson Distillery in Dublin today, so they were talking to someone who works there.
    • Obviously, the warm weather we've been having.  I think it's going to be back in the 40s tomorrow, though.  Lame. 
    • Doing a model walk down the hall when there's nobody around.  Also, posing in the bathroom mirror.  Either of which could quickly turn awkward.
    • Enjoying samples at a grocery store.  And then buying something as a result of trying a sample (which is how my Irish Stout cheese purchase came to be).
    • Noticing someone else having an awkward moment, like a lady at the grocery store accidentally ramming her cart into the checkout lane.
    Check out everybody else's awkward and awesome moments.

    3 comments:

    1. You look great Bek! Your looking really thin in the above picture!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks! I'm not--it's all about the angles, sucking in, and putting a baby partially in front of me. Ha.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love the green tights, and you should wear them more often- they're awesome. Also, I am adding that beer to my list of beers to try. I'm a fan of Belgian beers!

      matters of merrymaking

      ReplyDelete