Friday, February 4, 2011

Here goes nothing

I've wanted to start a blog for a long time.  I put a lot of undue pressure on myself regarding blogging probably because I subscribe to so many really interesting and focused blogs.  I'm not exactly focused, and I'm interested in writing about many different things.  Hence, the mixed-up files.

The title of the blog came from one of my favorite books as a child, From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  This blog won't be related to the plot of the book obviously (two children escaping to a museum and having educational adventures), but it probably will be pretty mixed up. 

While I was thinking about that book, a couple other favorite childhood books of mine popped into my head--Bridge to Terabithia and The Secret Garden.  All three are about children who escape to a land not so far from home and have fantastic adventures.  They were really not unlike my childhood.  Growing up, I had the best imagination, and I would wander around my yard, hiding among the lilac bushes and chatting with the evergreen trees.  I hope my daughter has some imagination and likes to spend time outside instead of sitting in front of the TV all the time, which is mostly what I spend my time doing these days.

Speaking of my daughter, that brings me to what I hope to cover in here.

  1. Family/motherhood.  It's my reality now, and I really want to be a great wife and mother.  Hopefully as my daughter gets older, I can start taking her on adventures--imaginary and tangible (like having her meet her future favorite band...and my current one!).
  2. Fashion/shopping.  I've only really loved shopping since college, I think.  In high school, I hung out at the mall to scope out the boys.  But I really love not only learning about what's trendy at the moment, but also what works for different occasions, ages, and body types.
  3. Food/drinks.  Another love of mine is eating...  Trying new food (admittedly mostly junk food) is fun for me.  Since I started going out with my husband, I've also started learning about and appreciating wine more.  
  4. Pop culture.  On one hand, my husband thinks it's ridiculous how much TV I watch/DVR and how dedicated I am to my favorite band.  On the other hand, he's really impressed by my uncanny ability to identify what other movies or TV shows actors have appeared in.  For example, did you know that Callie's obstetrician in Grey's Anatomy also was the computer hacker chick in Transformers?
So anyway, with four different focuses, this may get more mixed-up than anyone cares to read, but I guess we'll see.  My follow through isn't great either, so we'll also see if there is an entry #2...

3 comments:

  1. Awww, Bridge to Terabithia reminds me of our own Terabithia that we had in your backyard growing up. I was so upset when the owner after you took those trees down.

    I also hope that Bridgette and all future PHP 2.0 children have as much imagination and fun as we did. If not, we can always teach them how to play Spy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for spelling Bridget's name wrong :(

    ReplyDelete