Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sew Frustrated

Pardon the pun.  I actually hate puns, so the fact that I'm using one means I've really given up.

First, I was all gung ho about busting out a quick circle skirt tonight.  I made the pattern, washed the fabric, and was all ready to go until I realized I didn't have nearly enough fabric.  That's fine, I guess.  I certainly wasn't married to the fabric I bought, and I got it on clearance anyway. 

When that plan failed, I pulled out some vintage fabric I picked up at E-Collectique (awesome nearby resale shop) and embarked on the "super easy square top" tutorial from Cotton & Curls.  Disclaimer before I go on...it was easy, and it is a good tutorial--I'm just a bit hasty sometimes and don't take the time to measure. 

My lack of measuring resulted in a top that was too tight on the bottom and kinda got stuck instead of draping like it should.  But I'm not giving up hope yet.  I'm going to let out the bottom and hope I have enough seam allowance to make it work.  If not...it'll probably turn into a crop top...or maybe I'll sew panels in the sides...but I don't want it to come to that.

Anyway, I've concluded that I should only work from patterns from now on.




Top: DIY in progress; Pants: Gap; Bracelet: booth at a festival; Scarf: ?

During my sewing adventures, I went ahead and donned a scarf for Wear It Wednesday Head Scarf.  It looked pretty cute with my failed attempt at a square top.  I can't remember where I got this scarf from, but I'm pretty sure I bought it in 2005 before I went to Paris.  I was under the impression that everyone in Paris wore scarves, which actually turned out to be kind of true although most of the scarves I saw in France were of the pashmina persuasion.




4 comments:

  1. You look beautiful with a scarf on your head!
    Congratulates, You sew super top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh corduroys! So cute. Yeah somehow it stayed in place! I just kind of had it loosely placed on top - if I had been doing something extremely active I'm sure it wouldn't have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to C&C!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem--Lizzie at C&C has tons of great tutorials. It's always a fun read. Plus, her son is adorable.

    ReplyDelete